Thursday, June 14, 2007

NGO = ONG

So I have learned lots of new words in Portuguese since I've been here....I've been keeping this nerdy little notebook with me to write down any new words I pick up. I bought a notebook specifically for this purpose....Yeah, it's really nerdy. Actually most people do assume that I am Brazilian and can speak Portuguese. I think they assume that I am a Japanese Brazilian because I have been asked that a couple times. Apparently the Japanese in Brazil stereotypically own flower shops, and the Chinese make pastries, but there isn't enough of a Korean presence for there to be a strong stereotype about them.

When people ask what my occupation is here, I say that I work voluntarily with an ONG, which is the portuguese way of saying Non Governmental Organization (NGO) aka non-profit. I don't think there are a lot here. I work at Eco-Solidario, although I have had only 1 1/2 days of orientation, and I'm not sure how I am going to help them yet. They said that one of their most recent projects has been an action to create more bike lanes. Most people have a car, or two, but the people who can't afford cars ride bicycles. They also have several classrooms, in which they teach job training classes. These are in high demand because they are free and are offered to help the unemployed or unskilled workers. The classes offered are English (of course), Spanish, Japanese, a few other languages, arts and crafts (from only recycled materials like plastic bottles), manicurist training, food service training, and others. I think that is the main purpose of the NGO, but they also have a psychologist, who has her own very bare room, and sociologist.
Being there actually reminds me of New Kensington a lot. There is a receptionist in the front, and a waiting area where people are filling out paperwork. Also everyone who works there is very friendly and nice and chat in the kitchen, except that they are usually drinking tiny cups of Brazilian coffee (not your Starbuck's venti, that's for sure). While I'm mentioning tiny cups of coffee I can talk about the meal schedule. So first there is "café da manhã" which is breakfast, then lunch, then at around 5 pm, there is a snack coffee, which is the same as breakfast (tiny cups of coffee with bread or crackers and fruit), then dinner pretty late, around 8 pm. I've been eating at the house, so I haven't eating out yet, but I think my next posting with be a food special...or maybe the next 5....

My main responsibility is to research other international organizations that have implemented methods to preserve or improve the environment (Port: ambiente, pronounced ahm bee en chee). For example, next week they are taking me with them on a trip to Rio de Janeiro to look at a new waste management technology that they may try to bring to SJ dos Campos. Tomorrow we are going to the Parque de Cidade, City Park, to meet with the director of the city's environmental department.

The woman who has been talking to me most is Renata, but the "r" is pronounced with a throaty "h" sound. She took me to her apartment and to a flea market where they sold winter clothes for a bargain. It was seriously about 75 degrees today and people were wearing these thick wool sweaters and purchasing them at the market. She asked if I liked anything there, but I honestly couldn't even think to buy think knit sweaters and leather jackets. Too damn hot!

While we were driving around, I had my first look at the gated communities, which I read about in City of Walls, by Teresa Caldeira - though her book was about Sao Paulo. It's just like the ones that Hollywood celebrities live in to escape the paparazzi, but I don't think I've seen too many on the East Coast...Anyway, the houses are really big and flamboyantly colorful, and completely walled off. It's funny how Renata has to concentrate really hard when speaking to me in English - she was driving and lost track of where we were going 3 times!

After returning from the ONG, I went with Rebeca to her tap dancing studio, which is called CBS Tap Factory. She has been tapping for 7 years so she's pretty good, at least to my untrained eyes. She had to do this funky thing with a basketball, kind of like Stomp. By the way, to get an idea of how Americanized it is over here, Rebeca just got the new Fergie CD and listens to Fergalicious while she does her hair and nails. Hilarious. Also, her dad happens to LOVE American female singers. He said that he likes Britney Spears! He also has every Mariah Carey Album, so obviously we are best friends.

5 comments:

bding7 said...

this might be one of the only places where the primary Asian language offered is Japanese. please keep in mind that I am talking out of my ass and have been known to be very wrong.

Iris said...

you are wrong rob, you haven't though of hawaii!

Oh catherine you are soo cute. I miss you so much already!

Iris said...

oh shit, i just called brad, rob..

my bad.

bding7 said...

better than being called "brandon" or "leonard" (my uncle) or "armstead" (my brother)...

Unknown said...

And better than being called Renata... tho Henata is kinda hot- sounds native American. Catherine, Love you lots!